Head travel speed adjusts with printing speed  

RSS
Neil
 Neil
(@kauffman)
New Member Customer

I'm having a really hard time printing out a complicated first layer of a print with PLA and PETG. It's complicated enough that I don't want to use a brim or raft since it would take forever to clean. The main issue I'm having is with the non-printing head speed (travel speed?) I can set the first layer to print extra slow, I can also turn on advanced settings and slow down printing, but neither of those settings affect the travel speed.

What ends up happening is the high speed travel movement ends up pulling or curling a little bit of the end of the print when it whips away from it at warp speed.

Overall adhesion is good (I'm using painters tape) and I have no problems with non-complicated first layer prints. Upping the flow rate helps, but leaves an elephant foot. Increasing the material temp also helps, but leaves a ton of messy strings. The ideal solution seems to be the ability to slow down the travel speed, either manually or have it tied to the first layer print speed profile setting.

Thoughts?

Posted : 22/03/2019 12:34 am
Mike
 Mike
(@17bt)
Prominent Member

@kauffman You're quickest way to get over this is edit the travel speed in the Print Jobs folder for your print. Look for the robox.gcode file.

You'll see something like this

;
; End of Pre print gcode
;LAYER:0 height:0.300
M107
G1 F1800 E-5.00000
G1 F12000 X79.681 Y56.596 Z0.300
T0 ; Tool Node duration: 85.37038983092376
;TYPE:WALL-INNER
G1 F1800 E5.00000
G1 F900 X81.018 Y54.887 E0.52111

The F12000 is your "rapid" travel speed, so just use a text editor, and search for "F12000" and in your case look for the first layer travel move after the LAYER:0  comment and replace the F12000 with say F6000 to half the print speed up to LAYER:1. Once you've done this save the file and print it off.

Good luck

Mike

This post was modified 5 months ago by Mike
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 9:13 pm
Neil
 Neil
(@kauffman)
New Member Customer
Posted by: Mike

@kauffman You're quickest way to get over this is edit the travel speed in the Print Jobs folder for your print. Look for the robox.gcode file.

You'll see something like this

Thanks Mike, that did the trick!

I'm not sure if I did it the most expedient way, but I went to the print settings, selected my custom profile, then waited for AutoMaker to slice it in the background (once it shows the time/material estimate, it's done slicing.) I found the gcode file in c:\users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\Cel Robox\random number\NK Normal Thin Wall_robox.gcode ("NK Normal Thin Wall" was the name of my custom profile.) I copied that gcode file, then edited all the layer:0 and layer:1 entries as you mentioned above (F3000 for layer 0, F6000 for layer 1.) Last I went into AutoMaker settings -> Maintenance -> Transfer and execute GCode file, and gave it the edited file.

Hopefully this will help someone else too!

Thanks again,

Neil

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2019 4:43 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

There is slightly cleaner way to do this using the reprints folder. Relevant to AM 3.02.00 (easier in next release thanks to work on Projects)

1. Set up your print. Be sure to name the project tab at the top so you recognise it. The next software update uses the model name as the project tab name here and in the file system.
  2. Press Make and allow all the processing to happen.
  3. Pause and cancel the print as soon as it starts transferring or before it starts to print.
  4. Find the project gcode in /Documents/CEL Robox/PrintJobs/ in the most recent of the crazy folder name you mentioned has a file ending "_robox.gcode" which is the one you should edit. The next software update uses the model name as the folder name.
  5. Edit the file carefully, if you do something wrong here you can break stuff.
  6. Save the file in the same place (it is easy to accidentally save it in the wrong place...)
  7. Go back into AutoMaker and click the Reprints button at the bottom.
  8. Start your print, it will use the edited gcode.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/04/2019 10:32 am
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.