[Solved] Repeated gantry level z axis failure  

RSS
JayMathewson
(@jaym)

Has anyone else experienced repeated problems with the gantry level failing resulting in an out of level gantry and horrible grinding noise. I have the dual material Robox and got it just over a year ago.  In that time it has been returned for repair 3 times for the same problem.  It has now failed again for the fourth time and I am loosing all confidence in this machine and CEL.  Considering the high cost compared to equivalent machines it is very disappointing.  I now have to go through the lengthy process of support ticket, trouble shooting fixes which don't fix it.  Then boxing it up and paying for an insurance covered return, which I've spent over £100 so far.  It doesn't feel right to go through all this in just over a year.  I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has experienced the same.  Is there an inherent design or material problem?  I'm starting to think maybe there is.  Anyone's advice and help is appreciated.

Posted : 03/02/2019 12:50 pm
BHudson
(@bhudson)
USA Robox Support Moderator

I see this most often when users don't follow the cleaning and lubrication steps provided on the support pages. I have six Robox printers and have had to replaced only two Z screws, both due to breaking on the original beta units that were a welded screw. The new one-parts screws have not failed for me. 

I suggest running your cleaning and lubrication on the Z drive system about once a month as it appears you may be using the printer in such a way as to concentrate wear on a certain location of the screw. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2019 3:36 am
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

I haven't had a problem with screws since the Kickstarter versions but there have been other reports of this.For it to happen again after a repair suggests it needs more attention. Lubrication will certainly reduce wear. Cleaning the threads may remove the jam and allow the gantry to level. https://robox.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/1000133469-lubrication-and-cleaning

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2019 11:19 am
JayMathewson
(@jaym)

Hi Pete,  thanks for the advice.  I've been through this enough times now to know all possible fixes and routines to try, sadly to no avail.  It's the same thing as the 3 previous failures and I'm sorry to say this is now putting me off Robox, big time! I've raised a support ticket and just hope they don't take ages to respond. 

This is a hobby of mine so I don't use it that much,  in fact it's probably under used, which makes it even more disappointing.

It needs more than a clean up job. It needs to have some serious attention to more than the z axis, as it's not fixing the problem.  I've only had it 15 months and it has failed 4 times :-(

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2019 9:28 pm
Mike
 Mike
(@17bt)
Prominent Member

@jaym There are some solutions out there that eliminate this issue, but once the threads or nuts are damaged, I'm afraid it will never go away, as been there done that. :)

There is no feedback on the Z steppers, so if one jams or doesn't move the prescribed amount, it doesn't know it hasn't moved, so when both rotate and ups to the next layer, and still nothing happens on the jammed side, except a "graunching" noise from the stepper motor stalling the gantry gets ever more skewed. The original materials are stainless on stainless, and they will permanently damage themselves as the angle increases.

I did get some new shafts made, and different nut materials used, that did alleviate the problem, but the threaded rod was of variable quality, and I came up with a better solution. If you are out of warranty, I have two collars left, and some threaded rod, and nuts left to make a pair of new threaded shafts for the stepper motors. They will not jam, unless the printhead catches the model for another reason. :) If you want them PM me, ping an email, or google "Panhard Mike" and you'll get a contact email at an old website.

Mike

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2019 9:07 pm
JayMathewson
(@jaym)

Hi Mike, thanks for the advice.  I'm starting to feel like this won't go away.  After reading this, it seems more and more, there's some kind design fault or material failure especially with the threaded rod and/or nuts.  I remember reading another post on here saying similar, that the steel nut on steel threaded rod was not good and they should be of a different metal.  In fact I've seen many posts on here that looked like the same issue, so why don't Robox change the design or at least change the faulty model for the better parts? 

Mine is still under warranty, I've only had it just over a year.  I'd be interested to know how you solved the rod problem though.  How do you private message?

Jay

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/02/2019 10:41 pm
JayMathewson
(@jaym)

I think this time it appears to be the motor has jammed as the z axis shaft on the rh side won't turn, not even manually  I've heard back from support and have to send it back. Let's hope they can do a quick turn around  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2019 8:49 am
plowndes
(@plowndes)
New Member Customer

I have the same problem. The z axis is binding hard now. Just returned for the 2nd time. This machine has only done 50 hours printing and has cost me £58 in return fees. Not really living up to the marketing blurb.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2019 2:50 pm
Share:

This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.

For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software.
This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.