Community2019-01-23T14:47:06+00:00

Weird gap in model  

RSS
Chris Underwood
(@aftconsult)
Eminent Member

Hi,

Can anyone explain the small gap in the model? (I stopped it after I saw that as it ruins the model)

It has happened very time I try to print the file on normal settings with Titan ABS, just in different places. I have tried now on fine setting and it is still there. I have cleaned out the printer and and be is fixed firmly in place. It seems like it is something in the meshing or automaker layering that missing out a line ? ( ie the printer is doing what it is told..)

Any help appreciated thanks,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 8th February 2019 10:59 am
Kevin H3d
(@kevins)

Hi Chris,

As soon as you mention ABS I think "shrinkage"!

Have you tried printing the part in another material just as a test?

Do you have the door closed and latched on your Robox or just down enough to clear the interlock? 

In my experience ABS is very sensitive to draughts and the warmer you can keep the build chamber the better.

Kevin

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Kevin H3d
ReplyQuote
Posted : 8th February 2019 12:56 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

@aftconsult if you can share the model or the printjob folder it might help figure it out. Share via the support portal if it is a private model.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 8th February 2019 5:08 pm
Chris Underwood
(@aftconsult)
Eminent Member

@kevins Like z-axis shrinkage you think? The problem seems to occur less in the rough mode with reduced fill - (the pictured print was with 100% fill) , a rough print with 50% fill comes out ok but is generally too weak. This may indicate an issue there. I will try with another material, I printed a high (different) model in Nextgen which worked fine the other today without any gaps in the layers with 100% fill. The problem is that I want 100% fill! It needs to be as strong as possible - any other material recommendations ? (only CEL std. materials please)

I have made a support ticket so they can check the model as well.

Chris

ReplyQuote
Posted : 9th February 2019 7:43 am
Kevin H3d
(@kevins)

Hi @aftconsult

Yes, z axis shrinkage. 

It might not be that but it looks similar to problems I've had with ABS in the past.

I've had very good results with ColorFabb nGen PETG. Ive got a couple of reels of HDglass too but I haven't tried it yet. I have no reason to believe it won't be just as good.

I think you are more likely to get shrinkage problems with higher fill densities as the outer surfaces will cool down more quickly than the fill material. In my experience, fill densities over about 80% are more trouble than they're worth.

Kevin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 9th February 2019 5:32 pm
Kevin H3d
(@kevins)

@aftconsult

Just a thought... Have you got the part orientation such that the face shown in your photo is to the front of the Robox?

It might be less prone to surface cooling (and z axis shrinkage) if the outer face is to the back of the build chamber.

Sounds daft but it may be worth a try!

Kevin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 9th February 2019 5:39 pm
Pete
 Pete
(@pete)
I am Pete Admin

A little trick to get strong parts without using 100% fill is to add more perimeters.

If you set perimeters to 10 your part will be pretty much solid in any areas where the total width is less than 20 perimeters.

eg (0.4*10)*2

([nozzle diameter]*[number of perimeters])*[sides relevent to the section]

This will allow you to then use a lower fill % for the less critical parts, faster prints with less material.

For official support please create a support ticket using this link www.cel-robox.com/support/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11th February 2019 10:50 am Kevin H3d liked
BHudson
(@bhudson)
USA Robox Support Moderator

This looks like a filament feed issue to me as there is no other indication of warping visible in the picture. It looks like there is a perimeter that isn't getting deposited. This could be due to a filament issue or a head issue. Make sure your filament isn't tangled and that your head is purged regularly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12th February 2019 3:47 pm
Share:
This community page and the content inside is publicly visible except in restricted groups. A registered community member is able to post content. Because of the open nature of this forum the content posted may not represent the views of CEL. While we do regularly read the content posted, in some cases the content may not be appropriate for the reader or may cause offence. Please help us by reporting such content. Technical advice provided in this forum may be provided with good intention and a belief that is is correct but may not be applicable to all hardware, software or user ability. In some cases content may not be relevant to newer or older revisions, conflicting or incorrect advice may be contained within conversations, community moderators will attempt to add to this or make corrections but to preserve the thread this may be on following pages or be missed as the forum evolves.
For official advice users should contact the CEL support team via www.cel-robox.com/support/ and follow the provided advice to preserve safety, warranty and function of Robox hardware or software. This applies to any use or alteration which is not specifically described in the officially supplied guides from CEL. Community content should not be considered official even where posted by CEL employees. Only advice provided via the CEL support portal should be considered official.
Robox is a complex machine with many potential uses, to help preserve the good working order of both hardware and software please be patient and note that many common fixes for other 3D printers do not apply to Robox and may cause irreversible damage or compromise safe operation.

Robox

Tools

Basket

This website uses cookies and third party services in line with our Privacy Policy. OK

Working

Please Login or Register